I'm sure many of you have experienced something like this.
Recently while scrounging around in the "I need to
After some pre-cutting at home, I power sewed at a quilt retreat and got it all together. Later I machine quilted it, and as per my usual routine, I threw it in the wash as soon as I got the binding sewn down.
At any rate, I was mystified, as not only had I pre-washed the fabrics, but I had used both in other (red and white) quilts, with no bleed issues. What the heck?
Dismayed, I searched the internet for a cure. I found one that instructed you to soak the quilt overnight in very hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent, so I did that. The stains were considerably diminished (ie almost gone) but the backing and the toile ended up looking... well... pink.
No dice. Still pink.
Yes I used Color Catchers - three in the first "Dawn" cycle, which came out bright red, and two more in the Synthrapol cycle, which came out more of a dark pink.
two days later:
I did the bleach.
In this case, I filled the washer with hot water, added about 1/2 cup of liquid Clorox-type bleach, and made sure to stir it around before immersing the quilt. Then I let it soak, stirring and checking from time to time, to make sure all areas of the quilt were swimming freely in the bleach water, meanwhile checking for "doneness."
One hour did the trick.
Somewhat miraculously I think, both "whites" reverted to their original colors: the "creamy" white in the toile, and the crisper white in the backing fabric. Pretty amazing, imo.
(Looking at the picture, it looks like the toile is still a little pink. Funny because in real life, its not. My pictures are not the best. The "pink" one looks more yellow. Go figure.)
Anyway, I believe I "saved" the quilt. I'll let my Mother In Law be the judge. I'll "show and tell" it to her when we get together T-giving weekend. I really hope she takes it home.
Maybe another day I'll reveal some more of my Mom's tricks. ;-)