Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March Mini and other things

 

It seems like I just wrote a blog post, but that was a month ago. Good grief. Where does the time go? I have been sewing, apparently too much because I'm suddenly experiencing flair-ups of extreme pain in my right hand. My guess is tendonitis. As for cause? Most likely, rotary cutter. 

Its torture to not be able to sew. I'll have to find other activities. Walking/hiking works. But most everything else I do involves my hands. Ugh. 

Anyway, lucky for me, I have lots of scraps that can be sewn into little quilts with little to no cutting. I have little bins of these things everywhere. One is full of "waste" triangle squares, which I rename "bonus” triangle squares. I grabbed a handful of them and made this.

I had to cut the border strips and stitch on the binding, but that was before the worst flair-up. I hand quilted some simple lines down the centers of the rows and the borders, and though you can barely see the quilting, ts a sweet little quilt and feels heavenly to the touch. It will probably be a gif. 

Good news! My friend has offered for me to come over and use her electric Go-cutter, which I have been taking her up on. But I still have to pre-cut the fabric, so even that will have to wait for a bit.

Meanwhile, I was really itching to do something fun, and so I grabbed my little bin of 1 1/2 x 2 1/2" bricks. I was inspired by the darling little brick quilt Janet O gave me, and taking her idea as a starting point,  I made this:

The only thing I had to cut were the binding strips, which is actually a fake binding. I sew it on like a border, then sew the quilt together like a pillow. I had only a four inch opening to close at the end. As of now its un-quilted. I did machine quilt in the ditch between the “binding” and the body of the quilt, which gives it definition. The "binding" is a little wonky, and slightly wider than I had planned, but that's because apparently I can't do even the simplest math, and I cut the strips 1/4" too wide. The method needs a little fine tuning, but is potentially a brilliant way to fake a binding onto a tiny quilt or a mug rug. 


 
 

Here they are, relaxing on a bed of dry maple leaves. (See the little tree starts coming up?)
 
 Here's the link to Wendy's blog for more Monthly Mini's
 
 

I also made a throw for a friend, before the hand issue got out of hand (no pun intended).

I saw this on Pinterest:

 I thought it would be a good way to use up some of myy reds (or any other color, for that matter, but I have an overabundance of reds). So I started in and got this far ...

 

... then I thought I'm not so sure I want stars, so I played around with it. 

This is what I ended up with. 

 

I'm calling it Exploding Star. You can see how simple the blocks are, and there are no doubt many design possibilities.


I have an appointment with the hand doctor coming up, hopefully some PT. I have a big first-time four-day quilt retreat coming up at the end of next month. Hopefully I'll be in shape to do some sewing!

(editing seems to be on the fritz tonight. Oh well ... )


love, Sandy






13 comments:

  1. I love your Star Explosion and both minis too! For having the hand issues you accomplished a lot! My thumb and wrist joints have been flaring up all week, can't do even the simplest things, hoping this will pass when the weather clears and warms up. It's happened before but never this bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brick mini is so cute and I love your border/binding concept. Hope your hand pain abates. It's so discouraging to be stopped in our tracks by pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your hand is being uncooperative. You've been very busy. Love both minis and how you just dug into the scraps and created charming quilts. I like how the one row of hst's decided to go off on their own. Exploding Stars is awesome. It's a great lay out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy maravilloso trabajo Star Explosion, los minis maravillosos.
    Cuida tu mano, deseo que te recuperes pronto
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy maravilloso trabajo Star Explosion, los minis maravillosos.
    Cuida tu mano, deseo que te recuperes pronto
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two incredibly great little scrappy minis! I really like the way the one row of bonus triangles faces a different direction.
    Mow I want to make a mini brick quilt with the bricks running vertical like that. Love it!
    My goodness, your Exploding Star is stunning, and so clever!
    I know how hard it is to not be able to do your usual quilting activities. After shoulder surgery a few years ago I used to walk into my sewing room and just sit and look around.
    Hay, I have an AccuQuilt cutter! Would you like a bunch of tumbler shapes that you could sew together? I have the tumbler die in a few sizes. Email me if you are interested. I'd love to share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The minis are really cute. I love the binding idea and will have to try it. What a delight to see the exploding star quilt. I have too many reds right now too but I seem to keep using them up. I think it's all the Christmas quilts. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. In spite of it all you did GREAT! Perhaps you need to check out which foods are not nice to aging joints, and make sure to eat those that reduce swelling? Cucumbers, raw are great at reducing swelling, not just on the outside, like on eyelids, but eaten as well. It would be worth the effort to check out which foods help and avoid those which increase the acids that cause pain. Hoping you feel better SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love both these little gems. Funny I must have been channeling you on that second one. Janet most likely influenced me in mine this month as well. You just can't go wrong with leftover half square triangles. They are both amazing. And, what a lucky friend to receive such a beautiful quilt. I sure hope your hand recovers quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so prolific, Sandy! Your minis are so sweet. I don't make many tiny quilts but I'll have to remember your idea to sew a border, then put front and back together, sew, and turn. Did you put anything between the two layers--flannel or batting or...?
    Your star quilt is stunning. I love the colors and fabrics and especially the fabric you chose for the border. Gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What sweet little quilts from the simplest of scraps! I love when that happens! Your Exploding Star quilt is fabulous and what a treasured gift that will be! I'm so sorry to hear about your hand pain. Hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your March mini quilts are just darling, how fun to be able to put them together so easily. I'm sorry you're having hand pain, and I hope you can get some relief soon.
    *hugs*
    Tazzie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandy! The mini's are all so cute but I just Love your exploding star! So dramatic!

    ReplyDelete