Monday, May 30, 2022

Back on Board ...

... with a couple of new mini quilts for this month. 

I had already started making bunches of 9-patches with the idea of making a large throw using a double-nine-patch pattern, which I still want to make, btw.  But that was before I saw this charming little quilt on Pinterest.

I love the colors. The Browns/blues/grays, naturally ... (for me) ... but also the orange, which I have vowed lately to try to use more of. I found a couple of orange-y fabrics in my stash I thought might work well with my dull-ish 9-patches. I didn't want anything too bright.

After playing around awhile, I came up with this.

I thought it needed a little something to frame it in. I had just enough of a pretty blue and white print for two small borders, the binding, and the back.

I quilted the ditches by machine (with my handy almost-invisible Microquilter thread) and completed it with simple hand quilting, diagonally across the blocks.

But I had lots more 9-patches, so I continued to play around.


I got a little braver with the orange on this one, which ultimately turned into this.

Same quilting strategy as the first one, but all by machine. I think the blue binding sets it off.

For the photos, I once again default to my crusty old bench swing in the corner of the back yard. 

That creme and blue fabric is so soft! 

And a pretty brown floral for the little guy.

Don't forget to look at Wendy's blog for more little "Monthly Mini" quilts!


love,

Sandy




 



12 comments:

  1. That is such a great little inspiration quilt, and you have replicated it well--twice! :) Each of your creations has a personality all its own, just by one having more muted colors than the other, and the different choices of binding (and backing, for that matter). Nice work, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of 9 patch blocks. Your 2 mini quilts are adorable. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two mini nine patches are delightful. You worked your own magic based on the inspiration. I think you have a series starting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mini's as usual! I especially like the blue and orange combo! I hope all is well with you! take care, cw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your resolve to experiment with orange fabrics for these minis, you have two winners that relate beautifully with the inspiration quilt! Wonderful minis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two really neat minis and I like the orange so much. It's amazing too what a different feel a little border and binding change can make. You just need a third nine patch mini to make a "collection" ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were on a roll! These two little quilts are just the sweetest! There's nothing like 9-patch blocks to win my heart. Love that you found some orange-y fabrics to use. That color is hardly ever on my radar. And the blue really pops in your second piece :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy me encantan tus dos minis, me encanta el color naranja, pienso que es mi segundo color favorito.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of your quilts are delightful. I'm not a big fan of orange but it hits the spot with this quilt. And with the blue border, too. Just a fabulous little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got a couple of darlings there! Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy, your mini quilts are just darling, I love the fabrics you selected, they go together so well!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little quilts, especially the smaller one, You are a master with colour!

    ReplyDelete