Thursday, March 10, 2022

A Matter of Scale

 

I think I've finally recuperated from our Quilt Show, and thought I'd go ahead and show you the two quilts I had in the general exhibit. 

 

Above is the Log Cabin I made as a sew-along with Temecula Quilt Company a couple years ago, followed by a detail shot below.

 

 This quilt was really fun to make, because it allowed me to use a ton of scraps and small pre-cuts, as well as dig into my "precious" tiny pieces and other fabrics I'd been hoarding for years. 

Compared to the detail shot, I think the full quilt looks rather bland. It does not necessarily pull the viewer in to examine it up close. The wonderful array of fabrics is completely lost at a distance. Many may pass it by in favor of the more graphic and colorful quilts. 

I believe the problem is a matter of scale. It wasn't until I finished the quilt and saw it hanging that I realized the scale was all wrong, and I wish I had either made the blocks bigger, or made the quilt smaller. The upshot, however, is that I live with this quilt up close and personal, as it is in the rotation of "cover up" quilts I use on a daily basis. Like when I take a nap, or for a throw on the end of the bed. Up close, I can examine and enjoy the individual blocks, and appreciate the array of fabrics within. But a learning lesson, for sure.

A different example of scale caught me by surprise, when I turned the corner into an exhibit bay and saw this:

 

I thought, "Oh, that looks like a miniature version of my Road to Oklahoma quilt."  Then I realized, that IS my Road to Oklahoma quilt! It just looks tiny hanging next to the larger quilt its next to. 

 

Designed by Nancy Mahoney and published in Marsha McClosky's book "A Dozen Variables" close to fourty years ago. Ageless! The design is paramount in this quilt, and the individual fabrics are secondary. The scale of the blocks is perfect. 

Following are a few more quilts, just to highlight the amazing talent and variety of styles used by the quiltmakers in our guild.

 

Quiltmaker/artist Lisa Saporta, who does beautiful improv. 

 

Quiltmaker/artist Thom Atkins, usually noted for his beadwork, "paints" a beautiful scene in fabric.

 

Quiltmaker/artist Kristie Schulman, who's use of color and shape makes her quilts sing! (you can see why I might not want my quilt next to hers ... ha ha!) 

As always, I wish I had taken more pictures. As always, I wish there were at least one or two more days to thoroughly examine each and every quilt in the show. Sigh ...

 

All for now, 

Sandy 




7 comments:

  1. Your log cabin is a scrap enthusiast's delight. You've included so many different fabrics with different scales. It's a beautiful quilt with subtle colors. I'm sure many folks were totally amazed at the variety of fabrics you included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vintage look of your log cabin quilt colors. And I for one really love large quilts made from small blocks. Make my heart go pitter-patter. Your second quilt is beautiful as well. That is funny what your initial reaction was when you saw it hanging by the larger quilt. Your quilts are classics, and that is where my quilter's heart lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing these beautiful quilts!
    your log cabin quilt is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Log Cabin is absolutely wonderful and I love your color choices. If I were at your quilt show it would have caught my eye right away. What a funny reaction when you saw your Road to Oklahoma quilt. I've had that happen to me, too. Looks like there are some very talented quilters in your guild and you are one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy ¡¡Felicidades!! tu edredón Log Cabin espectacular, Me encanta todo el. Road to Oklahoma maravilloso
    Buen domingo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your log cabin quilt is wonderful. Interesting thoughts about scale. I have sometimes thought that my blocks have been too big, for too small a quilt - but never the opposite - that the blocks are too small, for a large quilt. I think it looks great. I bet a lot of people stopped to admire it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, all those beautiful and different quilt fabrics in your log cabin quilt are a delight for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete