Friday, February 4, 2022

Better late than never: my January mini

  

Do you ever look at a picture of a quilt, let's say in a book or Pinterest for instance, and say to yourself, "I want to make this quilt, like... right now!" ? 

That happened to me a few weeks ago. I was browsing through an old quilt book of mine, American Doll Quilts by Kathleen Tracy, and got stopped at this one.


I don't know. I've looked at this picture dozens of times, but for some reason this time it grabbed me. Its just so ... innocent, and simple. And darling. The thought occurred that it might be a fun little project to do at my upcoming quilt retreat, which was in a couple of days. So I immediately started pulling fabrics and quickly (if that's even possible) kitted it up. I did cut lots of extra pieces, so I could pick and choose as I went along. 

Fast forward, here's my version of Kathleen's Prairie Quilt:


Of course I didn't have her fabrics, but I did try to capture the feel of her little quilt. I was lucky I had a nice small check for the border, as I feel that was/is intrigal to the look. I auditioned a pink binding, but I didn't have the right pink, so I went with another "oldie" light, having the slightest tinge of green in the print. I think it works nicely. 

But then I had leftovers. Of course!  Ha ha ...you know what's coming, right? 

Naturally, I made another mini!

So ... late as I am, these are my offerings for January's Monthly Mini challenge. If you haven't already done so, go on over to Wendy's blog to see all the other January minis. 

There is one other item I finished last month, something I've been wanting to make for a long time - a homemade cover for my sewing machine.



I had been visualizing this, made with postage stamps, but didn't know quite how to go about actually making it. It was serendipitous timing that Lisa Bongean offered up a pattern on her Blog recently, which is exactly what I was visualizing. It was also lucky that she made her pattern to fit her Juki, which is the exact same model that I own. Anyway, I simply sewed together several of my postage stamp blocks and adapted them to her pattern. Voila!

Looking forward, my guild's annual quilt show is only three weeks away. We took a leap of faith and made the decision months ago to hold a real "in person" show this year, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that this will actually take place. I'm thinking with Omicron on the wane (here in central California, at least) and no new covid varients for now ... yet... we should be OK. Meanwhile I've been busy getting my entries and auction quilts ready, and I'm just about there. My quilts will be hanging, which gives a nice opportunity to take some decent pictures, which I hope to post at the end of the month. 

That's it for now!

Love, Sandy



13 comments:

  1. Adorable minis, #1 and #2! I think your awesome sewing machine cover counts as #3. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy me encantan tus minis, disfruto los patrones de Kathleen Tracy.
    La funda de tu maquina genial.
    diviértete en tu encuentro. Omicron golpeo fuerte en Europa, parece que esta perdiendo fuerza, estan bajando los contagios.
    Buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two for the price of one, a mini and a mini-mini! They're both sweet little quilts. I'm off to see if the book we have of Kathleen Tracy's mini quilts has this one. Thanks for reminding me about that book, always looking for next month's mini ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do love those sweet, simple one-patch doll quilts. You created two winners! Very nice representation of the original.
    Oh, your sewing machine cover is stunning! I downloaded Lisa's pattern, two, but you actually did something with it. And that "something" far surpasses anything I had envisioned! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sandy! The minis are so cute! And I Love that machine cover!!!
    The scale of the stamps is so perfect for something like that. See ya at the Fair!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little minis. I loved your use of the word innocent in your description - perfect word. The sewing machine cover is beyond fun - I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A simple little postage stamp quilt is always so charming and satisfying to make. And wow, your sewing machine cover takes it to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three pretty projects in one post. I try to figure out what makes a project say "make me now" and I can't but I have found that it is good to listen and make it. Your stamps are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling mini's are making me think "squirrel!" I am looking forward to seeing photos of the quilt show! Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two cute minis for January--love those simple one-patches! Yes, that always happens to me--gotta make it right now! I think you outdid yourself making that postage stamp sewing machine cover. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your minis are marvelous!! There are no time restraints here. Finished is all that matters and I love them both. And that sewing machine cover is amazing. I might even be able to use up a few scraps with that one! Thanks for another great month of minis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two perfect little quilts! Isn't that the way with photos in magazines and books? We see them over and over and then suddenly they jump out at us saying, "Make me!"
    How serendipitous that Lisa posted her machine cover just when you were thinking of making one! Such a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. simply charming! love the color combinations and your sewing machine cover is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete