Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Monthly Mini December 2021

I hope you all had a nice Christmas, and were able to spend time with family and friends. Ours was quiet, but we connected virtually here and there for some fun times. I'd never done Face Time before, and my sister caught me off-guard when she called on Christmas day. I was totally unprepared a (ie looked like a hag, lol!) but who cares! My two nieces were there and we had a great time!

For my Monthly Mini, I thought I'd do something more light and festive for Christmas. 

 

I think this has kind of a mid-century vintage look. The green is another Cranston print probably from that era, I wish I had more of. The center shirting is from Sheryl Johnson's Delightful Dozen (Temecula Quilt Co.) a beautifully done repro of a classic print. The rest are ... well, anyone's guess. My friend Pam shared her pattern for the tiny star, which finishes at 4 1/2". I will be making more of these in the future. 

When I thought of lining up the three stars, I had in mind a horizontal orientation. But it seems to be perhaps a little happier standing straight up. I never hung it up for Christmas (no decorating at all this year) so its future remains to be seen. 


I had just finished machine quilting a huge monster of a quilt, and another not-so-huge but still large one, so I'm not looking forward to any more large quilts any time soon. I'll try to get some pictures of those two later. 

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying working small, and especially working with scraps.  As you know, I love antique doll quilts, and love making little quilts inspired by them. I wanted to try to recreate this one, but my reds are all wrong. I need to find some brighter reds, that look old.


 So I went the other direction and used black.


This little quilt falls right into Janet O's scrap challenge. The hourglass blocks were leader/enders made from the bonus triangles left over from my Flying Geese quilt a few years ago. You haven't seen the last of these, as I still have lots more. 


I have a quirk when it comes to binding. I like to machine the binding on to the back, then fold it over to the front and hand stitch it down. There are a few reasons I do this. Often I want the binding to have more of a presence on the front of the quilt and this way I can make it a titch wider, if I desire. It also lays flatter, which I believe lends a more organic look. Also, I feel I have more control of the corners this way. Yep, after 35 years of making quilts I still struggle with the corners. 

For Christmas, in an effort to pare down some of the bigger pieces in my stash that have been hanging around too long, I made everyone shopping bags. It was sort of a last minute hairbrained idea, so had to plow through and get them done in a hurry in order to get them in the mail on time. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a single picture! But fret not, as I went ahead and kitted up several more bags to assemble at my upcoming quilt retreat, and hopefully I'll remember to take a few pix. 

Now I'm back to the scraps, making little gift-y items such as mug rugs and pot holders. 


Not a very good photo shoot, but there you have it.

Happy New Year, my friends! 

love, Sandy

Ooops ... I almost forgot the link to Wendy's blog for the rest of the Montly Minis!

Ps. None of the comments I left today have shown up on the blogs where I left them. I hope this is just a fluke  





 

11 comments:

  1. You're not the only one who occasionally struggles with corners on bindings! You hourglass minis are all lovely! I hope you find just the red you're looking for to recreate the original doll quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lovely table runner does have a vintage feel to it.
    And I really like your hourglass quilt. Makes me want to whip one up--but I know that won't happen. I haven't finished my monthly mini yet. :)
    I think we all find our own comfort zone when it comes to our finishing techniques. Whatever works, right? :)
    Cute little gifty items from your leftovers. That is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems we are all digging deep into our fabric collections and finding some oldies that still seem to work. Cute Christmas stars ready for next year. Your hourglass doll quilt is perfect with your scraps and the black is great. I think the original maker would have preferred it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this December mini…..stars are my favorite quilting motif. Do you have the numbers for the 41/2” star…..or Pam’s blog address? I’d like to make some little stars and feel too lazy to figure it out myself!!!! Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice holiday mini!! This year I experimented with sewing some bindings to backs and turning them to the fronts. The main reason was to see if I could improve the corners - just like you! I’ve been quilting for 28 years and also can’t get the corners right 100% of the time 🙁. My verdict - I prefer the standard way, sew on the back and turn to the front. But I’m glad I gave the other way a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Two monthly minis and mug rugs too! What an accomplishment in this busy month. I love the little stars and the little hourglass blocks quilt is sensational. Janet will be thrilled with all the participation in this fun challenge. I wish you a very Happy New Year with lots of quiet sewing time! Thanks for all your great minis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy! Your sweet little stars immediately reminded me of "We Three Kings". Love those hourglass blocks and the black worked really well! That's a great idea to do the binding back to front. Cute little gifts! Happy New Year, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those little stars and hourglass blocks! You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both minis are just terrific. That is so pretty with the black and I know what you mean about being on the lookout for a soft vintagey red. I think your binding method sounds perfect for the effect you are going for. I too have trouble with corners sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have several great quilts here! I love the trio of stars -- the fabrics and colors are delicious. (I'm a sucker for red and green.)
    Your second mini is delightful, too. I hope you find some reads you like to recreate one in the colors of the original. It's a fun little quilt.
    You have a wonderful way with scraps!

    ReplyDelete