Friday, May 22, 2020

May Mini and other things


When creativity eludes me, as it often does, I usually fall back on copying recreating something that's already been done successfully.

This month it was this very sweet little antique quilt, which I've had my eye on for a long time.  
 

Apparently it was for sale at some point, as part of a group.
Wouldn't it have been fun to bid on and win these?

Well that didn't happen, so I did the next best thing and made my own.


Its just simple nine-patches, but the layout creates a really cool pattern. I'm not a big fan of pink, but I was lucky and found a piece in my stash that worked.

I was surprised at how much fabric it took! The quilt measures 13" x 17", with the individual patches finishing at 3/4" (more or less, haha) I think I had about a fat quarter and a half of the pink, and used all but the tiniest shreds! In fact I panicked near the end when I thought I wouldn't have enough for the binding. I did, barely, but because of my lack of planning I had to cut it on the "length" of the fabric, which means it had very little give. I used some magic though, and made it work.

I machine quilted it in the ditch between the blocks, and hand quilted the diagonal lines. It crinkled up nicely after a light wash and dry.


This is my mini for May.
Go here to view more Montly Mini's.,hosted by Wendy, The Constant Quilter.


Meanwhile, I've been working on what was supposed to be "Lil Orphan Scrappy" by Lynn Wilder. I've been wanting to make this quilt for a long time, but by the time I got around to it my tastes were changing and I decided to use a cooler color palette, and a little different layout.


I don't know about you, but no matter how "precise" I try to be, my small units never turn out perfect. To compensate for my lack of cutting/sewing skill, I sometimes like to use a scant 1/4" seam, which results in a little bit extra around the edges of the unit to trim.


 A tiny trim and now they are now perfect.


Other news:  For some reason your comments are no longer showing up in my email, so I cannot answer them there. I've checked my settings and everything looks right. Hm. I think others of you may be experiencing this? Any tips on how to fix it? Meanwhile, I went ahead and changed my blog setting to https:/ bla bla so it is now more secure.

love,
Sandy


13 comments:

  1. Yout May mini couldn't be cuter. Glad you had just enough of the pink. Also your little orphan quilt is great. Love all the scraps and colors. I'm also into making those smaller units a bit bigger and trimming. It helps my precision too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your May mini is so lovely--nice work ~ ~ ~ waving from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this little quilt, it already has the look and feel of an antique doll quilt our mothers might have loved as a child. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that turned out so sweet, Sandy! Like you, I am not drawn to pink, but I do seem to like it in reproduction fabrics. This is such a unique layout. Hmm, maybe someday I will have to attempt a replica.
    Lil Orphan Scrappy is a great scrap quilt. I think hourglass alternate blocks are so effective in most any design. I've always wanted to use them that way, but have yet to do so. :)
    Also, like you, I make large and cut smaller whenever I can. So helpful in making little blocks precise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comments are showing up again! Was it something I said? Ha ha!
    But ... maybe my comments are not showing up in your inbox?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute Mini, as usual. It's so much fun to see what you mini people come up with each month. To bad I don't have the patience for Mini piecing. take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire - too bad I don't have the vision to put orphan blocks and scraps together like you do! I guess we all have our niches, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another sweet mini - I love it - and not just because I do love pink! I do the same type of trimming you describe. Even so, I wouldn't call myself a precision piecer. Your project is looking really great. The setting is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovin' your bitty Irish Chain quilt! Think I'll make one too! Thanks for the help with your directions. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how sweet! I adore this little mini. It is a perfect Spring quilt. Pink and white is one of my favorite combinations. Since you used all your pink, please feel free to ask me for some should the "pink" mood arise again. I will link it in when I post on Sunday. Your Lynne Wilder quilt is gorgeous. She does such wonderful patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your re-creation of the pink antique quilt is well done. The pink you chose looks so much like the original.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pink, so this is my idea of fun ... a pink mini quilt replica... perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The antique mini with its hand quilting is so special. The "Lil Orphan Scrappy" looks wonderful already. I have no doubt that it will be a beautiful quilt one day.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete