Thursday, June 25, 2020

June mini (a cheat)

I confess, I never got around to making a mini this month. I have some ideas, but I've been busy on other projects and didn't want to break the momentum, and I didn't want to rush something out. But I figure if you are anything like me, you look forward to seeing what others have made, but maybe not so concerned with the "when". So I thought I'd post a small quilt I made a few years ago, but never posted about at the time.


This little quilt is my interpretation of the cover quilt on Kathleen Tracey's book, Small and Scrappy, which came out in 2014.


I had a lot of fun with mine, which ended up looking quite different than the one on the cover of the book. Hopefully Kathleen doesn't mind. :-)


Photographed against my usual props ...


Made with scraps I had on hand, and mostly hand quilted.


I was going for an "old" look, which influenced the border, and the randomly chosen scraps. Then contrary to that, I fussy cut the binding! Oh well. No judging here, right?

Click on the link to Wendy's blog, so you can view all the other little quilts for this month.

Meanwhile, if you follow the link to the Country Lane Books page,  check out Kathleen's yet-to-be-released Schoolgirl Sampler, which I'm really excited about, as I seem to have gotten addicted to small, uncomplicated sampler blocks. The small print on the cover reads: "72 uncomplicated 4" blocks (72 !!!) ... and seven charming quilts" My heart beats fast just thinking about it.
Be sure to scroll down to see the rest of her books.

Anyway...

I've been working on "Berzerkistan" the last couple of weeks, installing borders (it needed them!) and piecing a back. Then I proceeded to machine quilt the holy crap out of it, using closely spaced wavy lines, edge to edge on the diagonal. Its not really ready to show yet, but here's a sneak peak.

(The blue in the border and backing is just regular soft denim, and not so radiant as it looks in the picture.)

I inserted a row of unloved orphan blocks down the back, a bit off-center, to connect the larger pieces.


I'm currently stitching down the binding. Scrappy, naturally.

I predict this quilt will look much better - and feel much better - after a good wash and dry, but I may have to go to a laundromat with one of those big industrial machines, because this thing is heav - vy!! I'm hoping it softens up, and crinkles up (and ... wishful thinking ... lightens up! lol!) 

Until next time,
Sandy

ps I left well enough alone for this post, but soon I'll have to make the leap to the "New Blogger" !  Wish me luck ....

11 comments:

  1. Lovely little classic mini! The binding is a perfect final touch. Your "bezerkistan" (ha ha) quilt - I love that blue border! Hope you have success at the laundromat and get the soft crinkly feel you are going for. The Schoolgirl Sampler book appeals to me too! I hope I will be able to get it mailed to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY like those extra strips you added to your mini quilt border! I'll have to do that on one of mine sometime soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I adore it!! And, there are no "cheats" in quilting. No one says you have to make it in the month you post it. I also love Berzerkistan. I love everything about this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your interpretation of the cover quilt is so sweet! I"m not one to make many mini quilts, but I started one yesterday. It's fun to see a quilt progress so quickly. I hope you have better luck with the new blog format than I have had--it obviously doesn't like me and the feeling is mutual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mini is very cute! But you know I'm crazy about your Berzerkistan quilt! Makes me want to get back to my scrap pile! I got a front loader washing machine just for that reason! You are welcome to bring it over to my house to wash! Then I 'll get to see it up close too! call me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with sharing a previously made quilt, especially when it's as wonderful as this one. I love Berzerkistan too, it already looks soft and snuggly, hope it becomes even more so when it's washed and fluffed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you shared a "previously made". I wouldn't want to have missed this one. I believe I like your version better than the original. And the binding is a great added touch.
    Wow--did you get tired of all that quilting on Berzerkistan? That must have been a lot of work. Can't wait to see it in all its glory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful June mini. I'm so glad you shared it. Your border design is great and adds so much interest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet little quilt to share in June! Love your version and it looks so nice in the photo shoot :) Can't wait to see your finished Berzerkistan quilt--the name is really catchy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your nine-patch mini! The border is especially eye-catching; it reminds me of an old-fashioned picture frame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mini looks fun, and I really like the border treatment. I enjoyed seeing it even though you made it a while ago.

    ReplyDelete