Wednesday, May 6, 2020

strange and interesting things...

I've been running low (or running out) of some of my favorite thread colors lately, so a couple of weeks ago I put in an order with Connecting Threads. I filled out my order with a few other items, as they have good deals on many things. I noticed they are carrying one of Primitive Gatherings new lines, Indigo Gatherings, which I've been very interested in as good indigo reproductions are hard to find. So I went ahead and ordered a couple of cuts.


My order arrived yesterday. I want to show you what these fabrics look like.


Connecting Threads often prints their own fabrics this way, where the print shows only on one side, and white (or whatever color the base fabric is) on the wrong side. I don't know the term for this, if there is one, but I always have thought the quality was somewhat compromised, compared to what you find in a fabric store. Which might be a reason their fabric is relatively inexpensive. I admit I know next to nothing about fabric printing and might be completely wrong about this, and I would love to hear from anyone who knows more about the topic.

Apparently this hasn't bothered me enough to forgo their fabric, however (I love their "basics" and "blenders"). But the above fabric, albeit slightly discounted, is Primitive Gatherings, by Moda. Would I have gotten a different product had I purchased it from PG? or.. is this a new trend?  Curious minds want to know.

On to another strange thing -

Something slightly disturbing happened with my Pinterest account recently.  I admit I am addicted to  a frequent peruser of this website. Anyway,  few weeks ago I wanted to look at some pins on our desktop computer (as opposed to my  ipad)  and instead of seeing my usual sign-in screen, I was prompted to sign in with Google. So I did, using my Google email and password.

That appears to have been a big mistake. First of all, while signed in with Google, I could only view my pages as a guest. I could not see my  secret boards, and  I could not edit my pins. And I couldn't get in using my original sign-in info, as apparently my original account had disappeared.   Hmm.

Meanwhile, the Pinterest app on my ipad went blank.  Initially I thought it was due to my ipad being so old, and not being updated in forever. But.. very untimely, as the desktop version was already compromised. Then things went even more haywire, but I'm giving you the short version.

Thankfully, the folks at Pinterest dug deep and after a good week of back-and-forth, they figured it all out and was able to restore my account. No more Google (who I'm sure didn't really mean to hijack my account ~) And... they restored the app on my ipad! (so much for the ancient ipad theory) Kudo's to Pinterest!

But what the heck, right??

Anyway, all is resolved, and I'm a happy Pinterest addict once again. 

love,
Sandy

8 comments:

  1. I was so curious about the P.G. fabric. I was gifted a layer cake of the indigo line in January. I hadn't opened it yet, so I pulled it out and looked at the backs. Sure enough--looks just like yours. There was an old charm pack of the Floral Gatherings sitting nearby, so I grabbed it to see if it has always been this way and I haven't noticed. The crazy thing is that some of the backs looked like this, but others didn't. I could pull out two different green prints and one would have the color saturated all through, but another green print would have the light colored back. So I pulled out two different pinks--same thing. Weird.
    Oh, you are devoted to Pinterest to have worked that hard to get it restored. I might have shrugged and thought, "Oh, well." Now if I had lost my blog and reading list--That would have been a different story. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to get things straightened out with Pinterest. It is my magazine of choice right now - at least that's what I call it. I just recline, bring Pinterest up on my Ipad, and browse. I don't know what to think about the Indigo Gatherings fabric. Makes me curious though. I'm sure you could email Lisa Bongean and ask her about the fabric. She's very interactive and wants to know what people think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sandy, Google must have it in for you. Right now in my search bar it reads "Not Secure" - my material... What the heck is right!
    Grey goods (the base fabric used to print fabric can vary considerably. I have bought the same print at Joanns and some more up scale fabric store and the two fabrics are not the same in feel because of the different grey goods used. I think there may be differences in printing process too but I'm not sure how that works either... Sometimes those prints work out just fine and they are less expensive and sometimes not-so-much. Just got to give them a test run. But if you want more indigo you can come shop at my house. I've got plenty to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know is when it all works right life us good. Glad you got the Pinterest app worked out. I'm going to check some backs if fabrics and see what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following up on the above comment, the reason your blog shows up as not secure is that you have it set up as http:// rather than https:// which will give it more security. It's an easy fix to do on your blog setup page. Anyway, I have heard that Moda and quite a few other fabric manufacturers print two qualities of their lines, one goes to places like JoAnn or Connecting Threads and maybe fabric.com and those are a lesser quality than those bolts going to "quilt shop quality" fabric shops. The "hand" of many of Connecting Threads fabrics I've bought is much more coarse, less threads per inch, and just generally doesn't have that softer quality feel. Not that I don't use them, they are fine for donation quilts but I probably wouldn't choose them for a heirloom wedding quilt for a child or grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good info, above. The fabric thing makes sense. Well, I guess that's what I get for trying to get a deal. But I had no idea my blog should be "secure". I thought that was for merchants and others that handle money transactions.

      Delete
  6. Wanda Hanson has specific instructions on her blog, exuberant color, telling how to secure your blog. It’s not hard at all. Do a search on her blog for it. It’s been a while since that was posted....almost a year, maybe? I bought some fabrics from Connecting Threads too. Some were fine, but one light blue one felt almost like a double knit! It had a blue/white woven pattern on the front and solid blue on the back. It did not handle well at all. It sat on my shelf a long time before I used it and discovered the problem. Otherwise, I would have told them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah.....the black magic of the internet! I have met frustrating situations now and then where I had to change passwords and never knew why. I am glad you could communicate with Pinterest. I do not go there because already I spend too much time just reading blogs! Can I receive your blog by email? Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete