Wednesday, September 30, 2020

September Mini - and Other Things

 

Just under the wire ...

This little quilt is another “Frankenstein” meaning it’s composed of leftovers, reject blocks, and various odds and ends. (remember, Frankenstein wasn't a bad monster - just misunderstood.) Some of these are rejects from my Summer Sampler, and I dug others out of my “spare parts” box. I think they ended up playing together nicely.

It was initially intended to be my July mini, but I deliberated for weeks on my border fabric, to the point where I became practically paralyzed and I had to put it away and move on to something else. I finally settled on this Cocheco Mills piece which I’d been hoarding for years, which was not much bigger than a scrap. There was barely enough, and then I mis-cut one side and had to stitch it back together, leaving a nice Frankenstein scar down one side. Barely visible, but still. 

(is it just me, or is there something weird about these photos? not blurry - which is my usual - the details are crisp but there's something unreal about them. The one below practically vibrates!)


I did not deliberate long on the back. This is another old print I’ve hoarded for a long time. I’ve lately been using more and more of these “special pieces” for small quilt backs, because I know they will be appreciated and enjoyed with the rest of the quilt. 

I thought it would be nice to hand quilt this, possibly because I was too lazy to haul out my big Janome with the hand-quilt stitch, and clear off the dining room table to set it up. Marking the fans was an unanticipated issue. The Sewline white worked fine in the darker places, and a lead pencil was ok on the light fabrics, but the constant switching back and forth between the two did not make for a smooth line. I know from experience yellow chalk could stain the whites, and I don’t trust those blue things.  

I thought about free-handing it, but I had too hard a time seeing my previous line of quilting! Problem ultimately solved by marking said line with 1/4” masking tape. This was not a relaxing process, so it went very slowly. By the time I finished, it was the end of September. Anyway, here it is! Be sure and follow the link to Wendy's blog to see more of this month’s mini’s.

I also finished my Summer Sampler, making for two finishes this month!

Those things that look like bleach spots are actually sun rays coming through the trees.

Thank you to everyone who followed this process and encouraged me along the way.  

The back is another piece I've been hanging on to for several years, waiting  for just the right quilt.


 


Meanwhile, this top was still nagging me. I felt it needed something more.

A single row of triangle squares across the top and bottom I think will do the trick.


love,           

Sandy



15 comments:

  1. Its always serendipitous when you can pull from the parts box and orphan block stash and come up with something as harmonious as this little quilt. So pretty, and your backing fabric is a treasure. Possibly the spots of lichen on the background wood and the design of the backing fabric are fighting for dominance in that photo you mentioned. Your summer sampler is very pretty, I like the background fabric for its subtle quality and that it lets the blocks have center stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great post. I chuckled at your description of Frankenstein quilt. Love that!
    The summer sampler is fabulous and the fans are awesome. I have the same issue with marking different colors. It is a challenge for sure.
    wonderful toile on the back.
    The HST really put a nick touch on your top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very. Ice finishes. Beautifully done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when bits and pieces come together like the way this month's mini did. The backing fabric is fantastic! Congrats on finishing your Summer Sampler. The fan quilting looks so nice and you have another great fabric on the back :) Clever way of including those mini pieced blocks in your one patch top and the triangles look great at the top and bottom! Can't wait to see more of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the toile print for your backing on ne quilt. I am a big fan of toile prints.
    Your mini is delightful. I like the color combo very much. Had to chuckle at your Frankenstein description. Good way to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great quilt you cobbled together from your spare parts. It worked out very well. I really like the light binding, too. I usually bind with something equal to the border or darker, but every now and then a lighter binding is just the perfect finish.
    Your Summer Sampler is gorgeous. Love the Baptist Fan quilting! And the toile on the back is stunning.
    The HSTs finish off your last quilt very well. I love the little random sprinkling of blocks in that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your summer sampler...i made one as well but my background fabric was a bit too dark as i see it now...i used what i had on hand...like yours much better...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mini is really nice. I love the border fabric you chose. I need to dig out some of my leftovers and see if they could be put together to make something nice. I love the shade of blue sashing and border on the summer sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Franknestien blocks worked so beautifully together. Your mini is very charming and the border fabric is perfect. It feels good to use up and make-do. Love the backing too. You've been on a roll. Congratulations on finishing you Summer Sampler. I like the wider borders to frame those blocks and show off the awesome quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frankenstein was indeed misunderstood, but there is no misunderstanding with this mini. It is sensational!! I love the mixture of orphan blocks. And the backing is gorgeous! I can't believe I have never seen that print! I have linked you into the post. Thanks for another great mini. Your sampler is beautiful too. And, I adore what you have done with those madders! The half square triangles at the top and bottom are perfect. It makes me want to pull all my madders out and start cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of wonderful quilts in this post. Nice mini with a gorgeous backing too. Your summer sampler is awesome - the variety of blocks against the beautiful steel blue (?) background with the wide border. Sometimes I feel that sampler quilts look very busy (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but this one looks ordered and almost spare, and I just love it! Icing on the cake is the fabulous toile backing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is a perfect little quilt! I have never heard of one called a Frankenstein quilt before - I like that term

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice bunch of pretty pretties! Love each of those fabrics and the quilts that they became!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful...the front of course, but also the backing and that wonderful quilting! Happy Stitching from me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like seeing what quilters choose for quilt backings. You have chosen well. I like toile prints and think they make an interesting backing on the right quilt top.

    ReplyDelete