Friday, July 31, 2020

July Monthly Mini and other things

So... what happened to all this free time I'm supposed to be having? I'm retired, I can't go anywhere, I don't have kids or grandkids ... yet it seems like I still exhaust myself just trying to keep up with what needs to be done around the house and yard. (Granted, there's a LOT that needs doing.) That, and simply keeping in touch with everyone, whether by phone, text, or zoom. Good grief.

I did manage to make a mini.


I'm calling this Pineapple Squares, because the blocks were supposed to be pineapple blocks, but ended up looking more like square-in-a-square. Some of them are pretty off-kilter, one of them actually has a hole in it (I just noticed when taking the pictures).


Oops. See the hole? Apparently my chosen scrap wasn't long enough. Must repair ...


I recently purchased Barb's fan stencil (available here) and tried it out  on this little quilt. It was pretty easy, and I like how it turned out.


My friend Joanne described to me how you can backtrack over the previously quilted fan to start a  new line, thus avoiding all those starts and stops. You can see here the backtracking is well hidden, helped no doubt by the busy fabrics, the crinkling, and the very thin thread.


Yes I know, some of those black triangles are pretty darned cockeyed. Who cares. Overall effect - think galloping horse - it all looks good.


For the back I used a piece of this versatile toile, which my friend Shauna gave me an entire bold of ( !! ).

Please visit The Constant Quilter, hosted by Wendy, to see more of this month's mini quilts, which are always delightful!

On to "other things" ...


I'm almost finished quilting my "Little Orphan Scrappy" from said pattern by Lynn Wilder (Sewin' Wild Oaks). Simple grid, because I could not come up with anything else  wanted something uncomplicated.


I also went ahead and marked one corner of my Summer Sampler.
I've realized I was deluding myself thinking I could hand quilt this. Too many obstacles. For instance, I don't have a frame, hand-held or otherwise, that would accommodate a single one of those fans. And the fact that my hand quilting would disappear right into that dull blue with the white dots makes all that work kind of pointless. I'll save the stress on my hands for something that gives me more bang for the buck. Now that I know the overlap trick, I'm confident I can machine quilt this easily.

That's it for the quilting part of this post.

a couple of notes -

Comments:  I am no longer able to sign in to Google on my ipad, which means I have not been able to leave comments using that device. That's what I use to read the blogs, and I'm not often motivated to get out of my recliner (or bed where I do much of my reading) and go in the other room and turn on the computer.  I ordered a new ipad a week ago, but its delivery has been delayed. I'm hoping to be back in business soon. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Blogger:   I don't know if I am using the new blogger or the old one. I did not select "legacy blogger" when I began this post, so I assumed I was using the new one. I did not experience any problems, in fact there were only a few little differences, such as not being able to resize pictures. We'll se what happens next time. I'll admit I am not very sophisticated.

love,
Sandy
































































13 comments:

  1. A great little mini with so much interest with the variety of fabrics, and I love the wide border. I have a small piece of a very similar toile, been saving it for a special mini yet to be made. Baptist fan quilting is one of my favorite designs, just not brave enough to try machine quilting it. Yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, what a terrific mini - I just love it! I think little "variations" in piecing are just fine - we are making things with our own hands after all and we aren't machines. Love that toile. It's so great looking. I have Barb's stencil too and it's such a nice way to finish a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, I love your mink from the richness of the colors, the wonderful variety of scraps, and the texture of the quilting. You'll have to explain the overlap trick in more detail. The toile is a fabulous backing. I like the look of the extra wide borders. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mini is so charming. Too bad about the hole. I've done that. I have the same stencil but haven't used it yet.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet little quilt. Love the border, everything goes together so well. While hand quilting a hand appliqued quilt recently I found a hole in the background of one of the blocks. I was so surprised that I hadn't noticed it before. Because it was an applique quilt I just put a gold circle over it and moved on. As much scrutiny as these quilt tops get as we make them, it's always a surprise to find an unexpected flaw. I love the photo with the blue flowers. That would make a great framed print or puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, your mini looks absolutely wonderful from here! The fan quilting and the toile backing just make it more special--love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the Pineapple mini--I find pineapple blocks tend to be constructed in a couple of different ways. The ones you made can seem like a square within a square. Then there are the ones where the corner triangles overlap each other a little more each round as you work your way out to the corners. I think that is what many of us think of when we think "Pineapple block".
    Each of the projects you shared here has a wonderful vintage feel.
    I plan to try machine quilting with Barb's stencil on a couple of tops I need to get marked and basted. Would love to have you elaborate on how you did your overlap to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your mini! I was wondering if you use anything as a batting in these tiny ones, or just the fabric in the back and front to suffice?

    ReplyDelete
  9. charming mini! I love the color theme especially and the little bits that are different are charming in a dolly quilt.

    you should be able to link your devised so that you stay logged into google.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mini is very cute what do a few imperfections matter! hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my dear Sandy, why are we always so hard on ourselves? I think this mini is absolutely fabulous. I love the square in a square look. And as far as the wonkyish corner triangles, it makes me love it even more. It looks very antique like to me which is what I love! I've never been brave enough to try a pineapple so you have inspired me to give it a whirl. Thanks for another great min. I have linked you into Friday's post. Oh, and I love Barb's stencil too. Hope to use it on my star swap quilt. I also like the straight line quilting on you Little Orphan Scrappy. Love the scrappiness too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I certainly did not see the off-kilter you are talking about in your wonderful pineapple mini. I love the mix of neutrals and colours in your other quilts too.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful mini, Sandy! So striking and graphic-looking! Love it! I'd like to try a pineapple block or two sometime :) Look forward to seeing your sampler quilt quilted with Barb's Fan pattern!

    ReplyDelete