Monday, March 16, 2020

Sew-cial Distancing

I learned a new phrase today: "sew-cial distancing", coined by my friend Tracey, referring to the many of us in California who are refraining from social contact right now, for health reasons. If you live in California or Washington State, or New York, you know what I'm talking about.

Those of us that are quilters are blessed in that we have something to keep our hands and minds busy for many hours at a time, during the long (potentially) boring days ahead.

What better time to get started on the somewhat daunting project of deconstructing this vintage top I recently picked up at the Bargain Garden at our quilt show.


Picking the seams apart was out of the question, so I set about cutting the blocks apart with my trusty Ginghers, and then separating the logs with my rotary cutter. Mindless work, but it ate up (several?) hours, then it was done. Resulting in this:


And then this:


Organized, usable strips of a bunch of really cool vintage fabrics!

That accomplished, I started playing around. What does one do with strips? The first thing that came to mind was a log cabin.


I spent most of the day yesterday composing and sewing twelve little log cabin blocks, and when I was finally (mostly) happy with them, I sewed them together into a top.

 .



I have just enough of this blue floral for the back, assuming I don't end up putting borders around it.

I'd like to hand quilt this. If I start soon (and my fingers hold out) I could have it done by the end of the month!


love,
Sandy

*update: As of tonight, Santa Cruz County is on lock-down.  All businesses must close, except for those considered "essential". We are being told to "shelter in place" ie stay home. Officially this stands until April 7, but my feeling it will last much longer. My advice to those of you in areas that haven't been hit yet is to stock up now, before the stores run out of everything. But please, do not hoard. You can't even get toilet paper around here, let alone disinfectant wipes. Word to the wise...


8 comments:

  1. Oh I love that term! Have to admit I don't like what it implies, but you are so right in that we are the lucky ones. Those of us who have our creative outlet will remain much more calm than those who don't. Stay safe and healthy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for rescuing this and making something beautiful out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sandy, That was quick work! I'm glad you found that top. It does not photo so well but there are a lot of cool fabs in it and you are certainly making the best of it! take care, cw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did with those vintage fabric strips. It's a beautiful rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new-from-old log cabin is great! So classic. Yes we are so lucky to have our quilting to help make our time productive and calm nerves. Oh dear, being in "shelter in place" mode is serious. Take good care! Here in Tokyo things seem to be relaxing somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable little creation! Wish I could find some old tops to harvest great fabrics like those. You did a beautiful job.
    It kind of reminds me of one Cynthia recently made in a larger size.
    I love the idea that someone is telling me I need to stay home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the little quilt you have made. I am sure you have more strips to use and play with. Looking forward to the finish of this one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your new blocks - you are very ambitious!

    ReplyDelete