Monday, March 9, 2020

Catching up on a few things


We've finally been getting some rain here on the Central Coast, which means I've had an excuse to stay inside and sew. Good timing, as the UFO's were starting to stack up. 

Here are a couple of lap quilts I just finished. Each year our guild members make somewhere around 100 of these and deliver them to the VA hospital in Palo Alto for the wounded soldiers.


The first one is another rail fence quilt, which is easy and an excellent stash buster.


I really like the look of overall stippling on quilts like these, but alas, I am not keen on trying to learn and perfect free motion quilting on my home machine. Instead, I've been playing around with alternative quilting methods I can do with a walking foot. The wavy line works well, and is stress free and actually fun to do.



Here it is, hanging on the porch rail in natural light.



This one is Sheryl Johnson's Joyful Jumble pattern, from her book Return to Temecula. I increased the block size to six inches, which keeps the scale the same, but increases her mini to a lap size quilt.

I think Annette Plog (Petite Quilts.com) and I must have come up with the same idea at the same time, as she just finished her version, which is huge! I think hers was a block exchange for more variety.



This time I thought I'd try making the wavy lines closer together and overlapping in some places. I really like how it looks, and the overall feel of the quilt once its washed and dried. There's a heck of a lot of thread in this quilt, and it took about twice as long to quilt it as the rail fence one, but I love the result.

I used Superior Threads Micro Quilter 100 wt. thread in a medium neutral for both quilts, which is perfect for going over a variety of darks and lights without standing out.



Another porch rail shot. Hopefully you can get an idea of the texture of these quilts from some of the pictures.



Another flea market find for this groovy back on Joyful Jumble. Kinda makes your eyes blur just looking at it! 



This one is easier to look at.

 Next up....   labels! I have way too many quilts, recent and old, that need them. I really don't even know how many. I've been terribly remiss (insert: lazy) in this. I got a few done last week, but there are many many more. 

I recently had an "aha" moment while watching a friend sewing labels on multiple quilts for a project she's doing. Glue basting! Why didn't I think of that? You're probably all nodding "yep.." Anyway, better late than never, learning this little time saver. I should really look up some tutorials and see what else I can learn.


I long ago gave up making fancy labels, but I still like to give them some character.

OK... back to the sewing room! 

love,
Sandy












9 comments:

  1. Joyful Jumble is my favorite. The colors and design work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both lap quilts will make wonderful donation quilts and will be admired and enjoyed by their new owners. The rail fence pattern is one that can get ignored because of its simplicity but yet, can create a delightful design using a huge variety of fabrics. I have to agree that's an eye popping backing. Glad you're working on your labels. Just keep current and slowly work backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice quilts and that quilting looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both versions of your wavy lines and both quilts are terrific! I like simple labels - the main thing is to get them done! Fence rail is on my list of "want to makes" - I like the "woven" effect so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sandy, great finishes! I like the quilting on both of them and I think the wavey lines are better looking than a stipple! That Joyful Jumble pattern is wonderful it has so much movement , it kind of tricks the eye?! Was that backing from the Bargain Garden? You do know how to ferret out some goodies. I gave up on labels a long time ago. I just write something on the sleeve with a sharpie marker. (I know I just gave people a bit of heart failure with that declaration!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice finishes! I love the Joyful Jumble block--enlarging it is a good idea for using up more stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those finishes! The wavy line really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All great quilts, but I especially love the classic Rail Fence.
    My, oh my, that backing does leave my eyes in a blur, but what fun!
    I really try to sew in a corner label as I bind my quilts, but I often don't write on them for a year or more. Hey, at least they have a label. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I agree that wavy lines works well. I don't want to take the time to learn stipple or other fancy work. Just need to get them done. Love all of your finishes. You have been productive this month!

    ReplyDelete