Monday, October 14, 2019

On My Design Wall

Do these blocks ring a bell for anyone?


They're from a sew-along called Summer Sampler, that Sheryl Johnson from Temecula Quilt Company led back in 2015. I've had a seed planted in my brain about this quilt, growing slowly for four years. Lately it has worked its way to the front, demanding to come to fruition.


Above is the quilt Sheryl made, the one everyone sewed along with.
(pssst... you can still find all the directions for Sheryl's quilt here)

Below is the antique quilt which was her inspiration.


I fell in love immediately.

I downloaded all the blocks, I bought the background fabric and the Block Tool* and followed along faithfully for ten weeks.

But I never made a single block.

I don't remember what was taking priority at the time, but this guy kept getting put on the back burner while I worked on "more important" things, and ended up staying there in an endless loop - for a very long time - while other projects came and went.

The background fabric got used for another project (a bad sign).
I still have the Block Tool (a good sign).

Well (four years later) somehow its number finally came up, and I decided to just go for it.

Part of the impetus was a bin full of charm packs etc. I'd been hoarding saving for way too long, including many pre-cuts from TQC. So I already had the right fabrics to get the desired "look" .. being brighter and more lively than my usual darkish/dullish palette, but still retaining a vintage look.

This is what I have so far.


The background blue is from my stash, and is looking more dull than it actually is, no doubt due to the poor light in my sewing room when I took the picture. But even in poor light, the blocks really stand out, which is a good thing!

Meanwhile, I discovered an alternate blue in one of my charm packs, a Betsy Chutchian line called Evelyn's Homestead.


Very close to the one from my stash - but prettier - so I went ahead and ordered some yardage. I may use them both. The vintage "inspiration" quilt has a slightly different fabric for the upper and lower borders, and I like that look.


Its hard to tell from the picture what exactly the quiltmaker used for the "lights" in the vintage blocks, but Sheryl used white in hers. One change I'm making is, I'm using shirtings for my lights. My way of adding a little more warmth, I guess.

One of Sheryl's own interpretations of the vintage quilt was to substitute many of the more complicated blocks for simpler ones, resulting in a cleaner, more graphic look, and at the same time, an "easier" project for summer sewing.  I decided I'd like to at least try more of the original blocks. In other words, I'll be using blocks from both the original quilt and from Sheryl's repro for my own interpretation.

I have nineteen more blocks to make, give or take a couple of re-makes. Which I don't mind, as I'm absolutely loving making these blocks!

love,
Sandy


*I highly recommend The Quick and Easy Block Tool by C&T Publishing - very helpful, especially if you need instructions on how to cut various blocks. (includes 102 rotary cut blocks in five different sizes!) I bought mine from Temecula Quilt Co.  Of course!






4 comments:

  1. Some projects just have to marinate in your creative juices for a while, don't they? I really like where you are going with this, Sandy. I that print from Betsy's line--looks great with the blocks, and the other blue for the top and bottom borders is a look I am drawn to.
    I've never heard of the Block Tool, but you definitely have me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as we are busy making quilts, I think it is ok to let some simmer for a while. Sometimes, they seem to go quicker when we start back up on them and wonder why we didn't finish the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are coming along beautifully! I'm a Sheryl Johnson/Temecula fan also :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking so good. Sometimes a project is the right project at the wrong time - but now the time is right. Love this sampler - the blue really unifies everything. Thanks for the tip about the Block Tool - I will look into that.

    ReplyDelete