Friday, October 25, 2019

My First Doll Bed

My hubby was in St. George Utah a couple of weeks ago, playing softball in a senior league. He really wanted me to go with him, but that dang job of mine keeps getting in the way of such fun.

On his way home, he stopped to visit his Mom in Southern California. Somehow they came up with the notion that I might like a doll bed.  And the next thing you know he loaded this into his car...


A doll cradle! Made by his stepdad, no less!
(Lela, if you are reading this, THANK YOU so very much! You are the sweetest, most generous Mother-in-Law (and friend) a girl could ever have!)


I wasted no time fashioning an improv mattress and covering it with a doll quilt. Now all I need is a pillow and pillowcase.

I placed this little gem on it in the meantime...


But I'd like something smaller, more in the shape of a bed pillow. I'm pretty sure I can round up suitable materials to make one, along with a cute pillowcase. If all else fails, I may have to employ my friend Melinda, who made the one above.

At any rate, I am thrilled to have my very first doll bed! I'm not sure where I'm going to put it, as its fairly large, measuring 20" long, and 18" across the rockers. So it won't exactly fit on a shelf, you know? Hmmmm..... will have to keep you posted on that. Meanwhile, I'll have fun "changing the linens" and trying out some other doll quilts on the bed. Fun!

While in St. George, Bruce made use of his spare time visiting relatives in the area, and also made a "proxy" visit to the local quilt store, where he bought these:


Eleven fat quarters, which he picked out himself, based on his observation of what I like. Good job, Bruce! You gotta love a guy who buys fabric for his wife, right? Most of these are from the line Hickory Road by Jo Morton. I love them!

I'm a happy gal!

love,
Sandy



10 comments:

  1. I LOVE your new to you doll bed. What a special gift. How sweet too, that your husband bought you some fabric; from a quilt shop that he picked out himself! Wow, he is a keeper for sure. Love the fabric too. I also wanted to say I love the quilt with the heart and hand that you have as your blog header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a sweet little cradle! That little quilt looks perfect in it. You can do a bed turning with your doll quilts now.
    My best friend moved to St. George a few years ago and we have gone down the last couple of summers for visits, but I have yet to make it to a quilt shop there.
    Your hubby did a great job--I don't think my hubby would have attempted it, though he will go with me to quilt shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable doll bed. And, WOW, you're husband did a really good job. I don't think my husband would know what to pick out. Maybe I ought to give him a color chart - ha! He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet doll cradle! You'll have so much fun making bedding and maybe even finding a little dolly for it. Pretty fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet and thoughtful husband and mother-in-law. You hit the jackpot. They did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet little bed and the quilt is so perfect tucked inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely doll cradle. I love the quilt on it. Tell your hubby nice job on the cradle and the fat quarters. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one mighty cute doll cradle! And your quilt in it too! Bruce did good! Wow, I think my husband would have a difficult time with such a task. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a couple of special surprises you got! That very nice doll cradle, and those fat quarters! A very nice pillow could be made to your spec's with muslin and a tiny bit of scrap batting. I have confidence that you could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet classic fabrics - Jo Morton never disappoints - and so nice of your husband to shop for you. The doll bed is adorable and even better that it has family significance.

    ReplyDelete