Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas!


My sister made Christmas cookies and sent us a tin full.



Aren’t these adorable?

There are more, but they’re still in the tin, individually wrapped, and I don’t want to disturb them ... quite yet.  

Do you, or did you ever make these? (decorated, cookie cutter Christmas cookies)?  As kids, our mom baked the cookies and we kids decorated them. It was fun, and we got pretty elaborate with some of them. (remember those little silver balls that practically broke your teeth when you bit down on one?) Anyway, my sister (with her kids)  has carried on the Christmas cookie tradition for many years - minus the silver balls. 

I have been sewing a lot. I finished my bedspread top, which for me is huge. I’m so glad it’s done! Now I have to figure out how to get it quilted (ie: find the right machine quilter) because I don’t think I ccould handle it. I’ll wait to post a picture til it’s completely done and on the bed!

Meanwhile I decided to make more of these:

I still have lots of orphan blocks, partial blocks and various bits and pieces, along with several bags and bins of scraps to use up. Haha, as if that’s possible, right? This is a fun project to work on when I don’t feel like working on something else. I know some of these blocks look like they’re a lot of work, but the process is actually very freeing because they don’t have to be perfect. Don’t forget I did not start from scratch as most of these started with “something “ already made. 

I’ve also finallly moving forward on making a postage stamp quilt, which something that has been on my bucket list for a long time. I’ve been saving 1 1/2” squares forever and have recently started sewing pairs together as leader/enders. Once I finally figured out a method to sew them all together so they consistently nest at every stage, I made some blocks and laid them out on my wall. 



My method, if anyone is curious, is to start with four-patches, making sure the seams all “spin” in the same direction - let’s say, clockwise. Then sew the four-patches together into 16-patches, making sure the outside seams are still all going clockwise. Then combine those into 32-patches, and so on. This way I can work block by block, and I can turn each block any which way whenever I put them all together. 

Well that’s about it for me.

I hope you all are enjoying your holidays, whatever way you can. I highly recommend zoom get-togethers, if you cannot gather in person with friends and family. I believe 2021 will be another tough year, but the tide has turned and there’s light at the end of the tunnel. We just need to preserve through the rest of this dang tunnel! 

love,
Sandy
 


6 comments:

  1. Your quilts are so inspirational, as always. Thinking of you and wish you both a Merry Christmas. Fingers crossed for 2021

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have enough patience for making the cutout sugar cookies. Used to love making them as a child, though. Oh, I remember though silver balls, and I feel the same way about them--tooth breakers!
    Love what you are doing with the orphans. How large are you making each finished square?
    Kudos to you for doing the postage stamp quilt. I've always wanted to make one, but never had the courage to start. I appreciate knowing your pressing method. Maybe someday a miracle will happen and I will get started on one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you know your little block doodles are my favorites!! Definet vibes from Berzerkastan!!! And I think your postage stamp quilt is so cool And ambitious. I try to do that twirly thing with the seams but I usually get it skewed up some where along the way! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sugar cookies. We used to make them for Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day . . . you name it. I haven't made them much in recent years because that's a lot of cookies for two people to eat. I love your orphan blocks quilt. Each block looks like it has it's own story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When i was little Mother made the cut out cookies, I think I still have some of her cutters. I have not made cookies in years... too much fat in them. Not that I don't want them! But hubby is diabetic and the fat and sugar are not good for us. Love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look yummy! I love the way you're putting your orphan blocks together. And kudos to you for doing a postage stamp quilt. Thanks for the pressing tip! Making one of these has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Maybe it'll happen in 2021! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete