Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April Monthly Mini

You'd think with all this time off work, I'd be getting more things done. What I mean by that is, more things than what I'd usually be getting done. Maybe I am, but it doesn't seem like it. I did manage to make a tiny little mini earlier this month, but I couldn't seem to find the time to sit down and do a blog post. Well the time is at hand, so here goes.


My quilt, above, was inspired by this adorabe little quilt, below, which I first saw on Pinterest.

Come to find out, it was made by Katy (katyquilts.net) who's quilts I adore. She's made several mini quilts using vintage fabric, which you know I love, right? I just so happened to have the right bits and pieces to make mine.



All the fabrics except the binding are from my "vintage" bin. 

Getting those tiny snowballs to line up was a little challenging, but being sort of casual about perfection as I am, I just did my best. It was totally fun to make, and I'm really happy with the result.

l'll go ahead now and link up with Wendy, The Constant Quilter, who hosts the Monthly Mini challenge. She'll be posting our links any day now, so check it out!

Moving along.. I confess I didn't jump on the mask bandwagon as everyone I know was making them. Lots of them. I made one. I offered to make a second one for my husband but he prefers to wear a bandana. And with his hair down to his shoulders now, he looks like he's going out to rob a bank. (sorry, no picture) I hope he doesn't get arrested, or shot for wearing the "wrong" color.

Then my quilt guild got involved with another project, making isolation gowns. I was feeling guilty about the masks, so signed on to the gown project. I made three. It took me three days. A seamstress I am not. I had to channel my inner home-ec student to do this, but I think I managed a solid "C" grade, and I'm confident they won't fall apart in the wash.

Meanwhile, I got roped into was encouraged to join a virtual round robin with a group I otherwise would have been retreating with last week. What we're doing is taking turns "advising" each other on their next round. I'm really having to think out of the box, as we all have completely different styles.

Here are some pictures of our incomplete quilts:







Can you guess which one's mine?


love,
Sandy

ps  what happened to our emoji's? I thought we had emoji's. Looks like all we have now are symbols and arrows. (insert growl-y face) (ha ha)

14 comments:

  1. Your interpretation of the little snowball quilt has a modern twist. Being such a simple block you'd think it would be easy to sew the blocks together. No, they never seem to match up! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love a snowball quilt and your tiny one is right up my ally! I love it. I like Katy's too, but I especially like the colors in yours. You are brave to even try to match them up, I usually add sashing because I am a chicken. Yours is Fabulous! I had a laugh at your comment about the bandanna and your husband's hair. Since we can't even enter a bank now, I guess it is no problem to have your face covered while making a transaction. Crazy times. Thanks for another great mini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice way to use smaller bits of vintage fabric. The design lets you see each piece individually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet mini! Love your photos too.
    I think if you click the face emoji, the menu of the others will come up in a window.
    Is your the last one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent mini--you received great inspiration from Katy, and your finished product is wonderful!
    The last quilt looks most like "you" to me. I don't know if I could do a round robin, virtual or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The virtual Round Robin sounds like fun!!
    Love yoru mini snowball quilt. I thought it looked vintage!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mini is very cute I think it lends itself to the vintage fabrics very well! I think I recognize some of those quilt makers! Looks like Mac at the top?! LOL.
    take care, xo, cw

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the snowball block, and I love your little mini. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your bright colors in your mini and it's such a sweet way to showcase some vintage fabric. Set off so nicely with the wide border. Oh I know what you mean about not being a seamstress. Anything 3-D is such a challenge! Ha ha about your husband and the bandana. One of my daughters and her husband have been using long sleeved t-shirts as impromptu masks, using the arms to tie behind their heads. I'm thinking... whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely snowball quilt! Looks like you are getting some sunshine there shining on your new mini.
    I enjoyed your description of gown making... me too... I opted out of that torture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you use your vintage fabrics and April's mini snowball is a perfect example! It's so appealing! A virtual round robin sounds a bit challenging. My guess is the last one is yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the last one is mine. The only traditional quilter in the group.

      Delete
  12. Just a lovely mini quilt...great choice of fabrics for it hugs from afar, Julierose

    ReplyDelete