Friday, January 31, 2020

January Monthly Mini

I have a small collection of repro fabrics that belonged to Carolyn Vallelunga, a talented artist from our guild. Carolyn made beautiful, unique "things" such as stuffed birds, one of a kind needle cases, and pins. You may have seen some of these things in past posts, as I have a nice little collection of them. Carolyn passed away from breast cancer four years ago.

I've been hoarding these bits of fabric all this time, with the intent of making a small quilt in her honor. I finally got around to at least making a mini, and it is my offering for January.

(I decided I'd try to get some better pictures, as the first one I posted was truly horrible!) 



These show much better detail, so you can get an idea of the array of wonderful fabrics I pulled from.  Photographing in natural light - outdoors - was key.


My inspiration came from Kathleen Tracey's book, Small and Scrappy.

Kathleen's quilt looks neat and crisp. Mine is pretty blendy. But that's ok. I love it.


The back is a soft brushed cotton. Its half machine and half hand quilted, keeping overall softness to the quilt. Its lovely to hold and handle, perfect for a little girl to wrap around her dolly.


Too bad I don't know any little girls who play with dollies. Myy little quilt will live tucked into my doll cradle for now.

Please visit Wendy's blog, The Constant Quilter, to see the other mini-quilts for this month!

love,
Sandy

14 comments:

  1. It is adorable, Sandy. I think you replicated Kathleen's design very well--and it does not look messy, but it does have vintage charm, IMHO. Looks so sweet in the cradle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I came back for another look because I liked it so much, and now with your new photos I like it even more, if that is possible!

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet quilt, it does need a little girl and her dolly. In the meantime it looks perfectly at home in your cradle. Someday I hope to find one at our local vintage vendors store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet idea and nice way to honor your friend. Looks so nice in the cradle, and maybe someday it will be claimed by a child with dollie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little quilt displayed in the cradle. Just looks like it belongs to an era gone by. Good fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great in your doll cradle! Context really helps! And I love the Scrappy look as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love everything you make. We must have the same color sense because I wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous little log cabin! I love it and I have finally linked everyone into the post. I don't have any little girls to share my minis with either, but hopefully one day my grandson's will appreciate some of mine. Yours is so adorable on that bed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely little log cabin. great fabrics and it is so charming in that cradle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost made a similar quilt not too long ago. Yours turned out great and I love the way it looks in that cradle. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful quilt and a great tribute to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your mini quilt! Love the pattern, the colors and the fact that it looks so "olde"!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice memory quilt and a beautiful way to use her fabrics!

    ReplyDelete