Thursday, June 27, 2019

Where did June go?

I'm not usually one to complain about the (seemingly) more and more swift passage of time, but June really did zip by for me this year. I did have a really nice, fun vacation a couple weeks ago, hanging with two very dear friends from high school days, at the home of the one in Oregon, who's house is right on the Rogue River. I've been know to sleep on her deck in the summer, so I can look at the stars and hear the river, but this year she wouldn't let me because her deck is slightly falling apart. I have high hopes for next year in that regard.

I didn't take many pictures either, and the ones I did take were of food. Here's some wonderful flan we got at a local Cuban restaurant:

(oops.. iphone not cooperating)

Sorry no flan pix, but here's my Monthly Mini, which I barely squeaked by with, again this month:


 This little quilt is made entirely from a bag of scraps sent to me by a (very generous) gal I quilt with in November, at a retreat we've been going to for many years.


Sue has a habit of dropping off bits (sometimes more than bits) of fabric at my station, knowing I have the same taste for repro's that she does. Often she'll invite me to dig into her stash, imploring me to "take as much as you want!" which I respond by slicing off a little sliver (hmmm well, maybe just a little bit more...) of a few things.  She has also bailed me out by digging up fabrics I "need" to complete a top, and never takes a dime for anything. Last year I gifted her a quilt. She responded to that by sending me a bag of scraps, mostly 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" strips, some small, some WOF.


I thought the strips lent themselves to small tumblers, so I went ahead and cut, and constructed two little tops at a retreat last month, and thought I had plenty of time to finish before the end of June to finish at least one of them. Well, life has an annoying habit of getting in the way of such "non-essential" goals, doesn't it.

I thought this cute little bird fabric was perfect for the back. 


Anyway, I finished stitching the binding on around 10pm last night, and went ahead and washed it this morning, to enhance that crinkly look.

Now, forward!

love,
Sandy

7 comments:

  1. Oh, my retreat buddy is always gifting me her "scraps", too. Isn't it fun?
    This is a very sweet little creation. I like your choice of backing, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite life getting in the way, you have finished a very nice little quilt. The tumblers are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy, love you little "mini" quilt. And scrappy that's what I like too!

    I am new to your blog and will visit you again! I am blog friends with Janet O. And see that you are to.

    Thanks for sharing with us your fun creation!!

    Carolyn....West Des Moines, Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy - it is fabulous! I just love the Tumbler Block! And, good for you for finishing in this busy, busy month! I'be been unplugged for a few days, but I will get these posted today for sure. I went to the Vermont show and oh wow! Thanks for sharing this super little gem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put that bag of fabrics to good use in making your mini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet mini, and I love the rustic setting for it in your photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your tumbler mini! So sweet and weathered wood is perfect for showing it off :) Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete