Friday, May 17, 2013

thread and other cool things

I've been super busy at work this week, and too brain dead at the end of the day to do anything other than scrolling through all the quilting tips on Geta's site.  Lots of cool tips, so check it out if you haven't already.

The big standout is, everyone seems to be raving about Aurifil thread, and I'm determined to find out what all the fuss is about. Personally, I use Connecting Threads 50-wt thread, and have been happy with it for years. (could I be hearing a curious "oh?" in the background, or a collective "groan.." ?) Connecting Threads is literally one fourth the price of Aurifil, so I think it rates consideration. Anyway, I mean to do a comparison so went ahead and bought a big spool of Aurifil at my local quilt shop yesterday. Today I will fill a couple bobbins and do some sewing. I will report back my findings.

 Meanwhile, I welcome any comments/opinions/suggestions about this topic, what is your experience with various threads? Have you tried Connecting Threads? Mainly - what makes Aurifil worth the price?

Another thing I'd love to hear your opinion about is Superior Threads pre-wound bobbins. These are very convenient to use, and last seemingly twice as long as a "normal" bobbin.  Unfortunately I had already used several spools by the time I examined it close enough to discover the reason - its noticeably thinner than my normal sewing thread. Although I haven't experienced any breakage while sewing with these bobbins, I did "test" its strength by pulling on it, and it breaks disturbingly easily. I am now keeping my fingers crossed this will hold up over time and not lead to early degradation of my quilts! Has anyone else used these? What is your experience?

OK, so much for thread.

On to other groovy things:  I know for sure I'm gonna have to get one of those Angler2 thingies, now that I've cut all those 2 1/2" strips and squares (to be covered in an upcoming post on "organizing"). Please don't ask me who's tip this was, but THANK YOU! This should make it a breeze to make HSTs.
Connecting Threads has a good price on these.
Click here for a tutorial on how to use it. (not mine obviously - I grabbed off youtube)

Thanks again to whoever posted this tip!

PS:  to continue my plug for Connecting Threads - they have great prices on lots of things, from fabric to notions, to thread, books and more. While I am not crazy about most of their fabric patterns, it does seem to be good quality. You can get sampler packets of nearly everything they have.

love,
Sandy


2 comments:

  1. I look forward to your test results. :) I bought Aurifil at the suggestion of an employee at a local quilt shop when it was on sale. I'd always used - totally blanking on what it was called - and was happy. I didn't notice a difference except the Aurifil lasted a lot longer because the spool was bigger. On sale, it was the better deal. I am now using Aurifil for hand sewing. When I told that same LQS employee she wrinkled her nose. She didn't seem to think that was such a good idea but I am not sure why - not as strong? It is thinner so I am hoping that it doesn't mess up my star blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment, Taryn. I'd love to get more opinions on this.

      The Aurifil I bought is 50-wt, the same as the Connecting Threads I've been using. I've sewn about thirty blocks with it over the weekend, and so far I really don't notice any difference. Maybe there's a lighter weight I should be trying? I'm also a little suspicious of thread that's too thin.

      btw I love your blog!

      Delete