Monday, April 6, 2020

One Small Step...

... can lead to unexpectedly cool things.

 Recently I saw something that inspired me.



Take a close look at the detail picture. Those little squares finish at 1/2". Look at the construction. Its so simple, and you never have to match up any seams. And so well organized, you end up with really cool looking blocks. I became completely enthralled with the idea, and so I bought the book.


What makes this really thrilling to me, besides the fact that I love working with teeny tiny scraps, is that I have a zillion of them and until now have not had a plan for anything more than a mug rug or a small mini. Which are fun and delightful, but don't make a dent in my little scraps.

The book arrived a few days ago and I immediatly went to work. One by one I went through every box, bag, tray, basket and other container of tiny scraps - and believe me, I had lots of containers full of these things - and methodically started cutting and organizing them for this project. I was surprised it only took me a few hours, and with a good playlist of music going, it flew by. 

Then the fun began!


I stopped here, thinking I'd like to make the four-patches as leader-enders. As of now, I'm not sure I want to make the exact quilt as shown above. But who knows. At this point I'm more attracted to the blocks themselves, and will work with these in my own way.  Whatever that may end up being ... ;-) !

Next up - I've been wanting to make Lynn Wilder's " 'Lil Orphan Scrappy" ever since she designed it (?) years ago. She recently posted a tutorial for the Ohio Stars on her blog (Sew'n Wild Oaks) for a sew-along. I was spurred on, and thrilled to be finally starting this quilt!


It helped that I actually had a head start on it, as I had several Ohio Star blocks kitted up and a few already made, leftovers from another project. So really, it can be considered a UFO rather than a brand new project, right?

My stars are slightly different from Lynn's, and my quilt will be similar but not an exact replica of Lil' Orphan Scrappy. Like maybe Orphan Scrappy's Illegitimate Daughter, or something like that.


My intent was to dig into my scrap basket for at least some of these blocks. But first I have to spend some time filtering through this mess to glean acceptable pieces. And that's going to take some time. My feeling is, there won't be as many as I hoped. Not to worry... I believe I have some regular fabric (as opposed to scraps) stashed away somewhere. I will meditate on this, but do want to attend to those scraps.

So I moved on, again, to another project, which is to make another one of these ...

... which, like this one, will go to the VA.

I already have a box of 2 1/2" squares, and another one of triangle squares, ready to go. Plus a giant bin of 2 1/2" strips, that I'd dearly like to empty, as it takes up far too much real estate in my closet.


Boxes of parts, complete with notes to myself, lol! Methinks I have enough of all of the above for several lap quilts. And its high time to get working on emptying some of these boxes and bins that have been hanging around far too long, taking up space.


Well, it looks like I won't be getting bored anytime soon!

Stay well, dear ladies (and men), stay in and be safe, and be grateful we have quilting to keep us sane!

love,
Sandy


7 comments:

  1. I love your fabrics you using for Lil Orphan Scraps quilt. So happy that you are finally able to make this quilt. The other two would be very tempting to make also. Sigh, I have mu just finished quilt to machine quilt_DSM. then a baby quilt and a college graduation quilt.

    I need to keep the pedal to the metal to catch up a bit. Toying around with the idea of moving the machine quilting project to the end. Usually try not to as it’s just easier to finish it right after I sew it. I even have the batting and backing all prepped. But babies and graduations don’t wait. Take care and enjoy your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been going through my bins of scraps too! I like that last quilt A LOT. And I have a bin of repro scraps that will suit the task. Not all cut up to the right dimensions like your but I'll manage. What size are those blocks? 8"? That's a good size! cheers, cw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have so many wonderful things going on and have a wonderful scrap system. That's what helps. If you have to be continually digging or making scraps it becomes to hard. You've got all shapes and sizes. No, you're not going to run out of projects too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you are working on and will take a peek at that book to! So often they make the pieces so SMALL! I'd double the size of the pieces, since I do make mistakes with my 1/4" seams... my mind drifts and so do my eyes! And then AAAAKKKKK! got to do over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for no boredom - and wow - those are amazing projects!! Love all your small pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your Lil' Orphan Scrappy blocks! Just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful scrappy projects! I have that book too and keep on leafing through it...very inspiring...
    ~ ~ ~ waving under sunny skies Julierose

    ReplyDelete