Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Berzirkistan


I thought I was finished with this a couple months ago, but later I decided the shape wasn't right. Too long. Or, not wide enough, depending on your point of view. So a couple days ago I went to work and added a vertical row down the left side. I think its good now.

random scraps, tiny to large

The basket contains what's left over of some of the scraps I was working from. Totally disorganized catch-all, so a real pain to pick through and try to find "just the right scrap". Most of the time I settled for whatever fit. I have other smaller containers with labels such as "triangles" also totally random, or "random tiny bits" which is insane, I know. But if you look closely  at the quilt, you'll see lots of those bits were used, in fact a few entire blocks  consist of them. Another box is labelled "playtime scraps" which are where I got the tiny (and not so tiny) centers for some of the blocks.


I usually quilt my own quilts using a walking foot, but I'd really like an all-over fairly small stipple on this, which is definitely not in my skill set. On the other hand, I really hate having to spend the $$ on a quilt I consider kinda junky. Anyway, I'll look into it, and hopefully I can get a decent deal somewhere.

small-ish scraps, halfway organizzed

I want to continue trying to work through all these scraps, but I don't think I want to make another random scrap quilt like Berserkistan. I've been thinking of other ideas, one of them being scrappy pineapple blocks.  My friend Pam gave me a marked paper foundation for paper piecing a six inch block, which I might have to give a try. Paper piecing kinda drives me nuts, though. Meantime, I got curious about the pineapple trim ruler. That sounded much more my style. I just so happened I find one a couple weekends ago at Family Threads in San Juan Bautista, where I was attending a quilt retreat. They had a good deal on it, too - $20 plus a 15% discount for being a "retreater".

It took a couple of minutes to figure it out, but I eventually got in the swing of it and started a few blocks.


But wait a minute. These aren't shaping up to look  like pineapple blocks.


This is a pineapple block.














Mine look more like Square in a Square blocks. Hmm. I thought I was following the instructions, but obviously I went wrong somewhere.



Oh well...  (to be continued)


love,
Sandy




8 comments:

  1. Don't you dare call that quilt junky! It is a scrap lover's eye candy. :)
    We all have our own interesting methods of "organizing" our scraps, don't we?
    You know, though the block you have labeled as a pineapple is the most familiar form of pineapple to me, I have seen and even used paper foundations that made the type of block you created with your ruler--and they were labeled pineapple, too. I'll be curious to know if you find you were using the ruler incorrectly, or if that is just the way it makes the block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt and the display of scraps beneath it. Those are my favorite colors. There is something comforting about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This scrap quilt is so delightful. There is so much to look at. I don't think it's junky at all. There's a lot to be said for a quilt you don't have to be careful with and can just use and use. Great use of scraps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others, that that is a delightful quilt, full of interesting fabrics. And it will be useful for whatever purpose you choose to use it for, picnic, stadium, or gifting to a stranded motorist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha - I had to laugh at the name of your quilt. I agree with Janet O - a scrap lover's eye candy. Maybe over time (and use) you will end up loving it. You could machine quilt it yourself, with the walking foot, in a "hanging diamonds" pattern which is very easy. No marking, and you can make it as densely quilted as you want. Just vertical lines through the whole quilt, and then diagonal lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Sounds like an idea, Cynthia. I was also considering dense wavy lines, or big radiating fans. I have a huge piece of extra wide soft denim for the back.

      Delete
  6. This is my absolute favorite kind of quilt! The name is spot on! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your quilt and the name is perfect! What fun! I've always wanted to make some pineapple blocks. Will check out the ruler, for sure!

    ReplyDelete