Monday, November 10, 2014

What I Got Done...


... at my quilt retreat over the weekend.


I will machine quilt this one - I'm thinking I might experiment with the "big arcs" idea -  and it will go to the VA hospital as a lap quilt for an injured vet. 



A couple years ago I purchased a grab bag of Cherrywood hand-dyed scraps at PIQF, with the intent of making an Amish inspired doll quilt. There wasn't enough of any one fabric for a border, so I purchased a small cut at their booth last month of a color called "logan" which I liked better than straight black. I will definitely hand quilt this.

It measures 14 x 17".


Here's a picture of the quilt that inspired me. The label reads:

Broken Dishes (crib quilt) ca. 1930
Holmes County, Ohio
37x32 in.











The other three are made totally from scraps, from projects you might recognize from past posts.

Claire, if you're reading this you should appreciate these!





I'm thinking either big-stitch something, or by machine. No fine hand quilting this time around.


I think they'll look pretty cool, once quilted and bound. Then...  possibly "bound" for a fundraiser. 


Here's one still waiting for something to go in the middle :-)














I'm going to practice a new (to me) machine quilting technique on this one, which will fit nicely on my end table, or in the trash, depending on how it goes.













The last thing I want to show you is the "secret" quilt I've been working on for the past year. 

This is the Friendship Album Quilt, from Civil War Sewing Circle by Kathleen Tracey. 

in progress

Over the past year, I collected signature blocks and Ohio Star blocks from close to sixty women (and one man) who for the past fifteen years have attended the annual quilt retreats put on my my friend Janet Locey. 


I sewed it together in June, then sent it to Janet's favorite long-arm quilter.

I found the perfect border and binding, in my stash!



Anyway, it was a thrill to make, and even more so to present it to Janet. 

Janet accepting her quilt
Does she look happy? :-)

All in all, it was a fabulous quilt retreat (really.. they all are) and now I'm exhausted!


Love,
Sandy

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sandy, You've been busy!! The blue stars will make a great Vet's quilt! And the amish crib quilr with those saturated colors is beautiful and of course I love all your scrappy adventures! The signature quilt for Janet is really wonderful she must have been surprized and please as can be! I wish I could get the lead out and get more thnigs done like you!!
    cheers, CW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, you need to come to one of our quilt retreats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many lovely projects, Sandy! What a wonderful and productive retreat it must have been! I love the blue and gold stars quilt, and ALL the mini's you are working on. The quilt your gifted to Janet is a marvel... what a treasure she has!

    ReplyDelete