Monday, August 26, 2013

Doll Quilts

I couldn't leave well enough alone with the little doll quilt I started a couple days ago. I could have just sewn it together, applied a border and called it a day. But the more I looked at it, I had to ask myself the question: "is this the best that this quilt can be?" The answer was "no." I just wasn't quite in love with it, and I really felt that the handful of vintage pieces within deserved a better fate than to live in a mediocre quilt.


So last night I decided to tweak it around a bit. First of all, I decided to get rid of the red. I also wanted more "old" looking pieces, and to have fewer repeats.




Remember that pile of scrap triangles from my last post? I picked through them again to see if I could find more of what I thought would "go" with the vintage pieces. I also managed to find two more little vintage scraps, so I included them as well.

This is the result.
Much better, don't you agree?

I'll try to point out the vintage pieces. You see that blue triangle in row three? That, and the four below it, are vintage scraps. So is that bright-ish blue one on the bottom left corner, although I see now it sticks out like a sore thumb and I'll probably end up taking it out. The blue triangle on the top right corner, and in row six, a repeat of the first blue, are all vintage.

Unsurprisingly, I ended up with a little stack of triangle squares left over. What to do with them.... hmmmmm.

How about another doll quilt?


Its just a tiny little thing, but I think its kinda cute, don't you?

This morning I began auditioning borders, and here's where the decision making dilemma comes in. After lengthy deliberation - and making total chaos of half my stash in the process - I pretty much eliminated all but the following options:

I've narrowed it down to these two browns for the tiny zig-zag quilt. I want the colors of the triangles to pop, and both these fabrics work, but not sure which one I like best. What do you think?


 I also auditioned the dark brown for the bigger "vintage" quilt,



 as well as this gorgeous blue.


At the moment, I'm leaning toward the blue, which is stunning IMO, and an unusual repro print from the Civil War era. It sets off beautifully the colors of the blocks, and really catches your eye, don't you think? But I wonder, is it "too much" ? The brown lends an "older" feel to the quilt, which I want, but its not a true repro fabric. And none of my repro browns worked as well.  AAAK!! HELP!!

What would you choose??

Light or dark brown on the tiny zig-zag?
Brown or blue on the "vintage" triangles?


love,
Sandy




7 comments:

  1. Such a dilemma... first of all, I love mini doll quilts... isn't it fun to see progress quickly??? Light brown on the tiny zig-zag, and definitely the blue on the vintage triangles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light brown on the zig zag - blue on the triangles - looks like it's unanimous so far! LOL So fun to play with these little pieces, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg I love your little zig zag quilt I like the first one with the little hint of red in it, brings out the colors in the fabrics in the center in MHO.
    this is soooo cute.
    you have me wanting to make a few little quilts now!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sandy, They all look good to me! But that blue is very pretty. I love all the vintage stuff. It's been on my list for awhile to make a vintage quilt withall those colors and fabrics. I just need to clear a few other things to get started...well maybe more than a few! lol. cheers, CW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd use the blue, but I think I would make the border a bit narrower. Right now my eyes immediately go to the blue border, and I'd rather they go to the center first. The brown would work too, but again I'd make it a bit narrower. JMHO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wohoo - so many questions!!! Interesting to see what you did with the doll quilt as I thought it was quite lovely - but I do like the changes you've made!! The blue is nice for the triangles but i think I agree with Patti to make the border narrowerer (I guess you were possibly just sitting them on the fabrics without meaning that to be border size?) I think both browns work for the zig-zag...maybe the lighter?!!! How cool to have the vintage fabric to work with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all are fantastic, thank you! great suggestions and I agree with your choices. In fact I couldn't sleep last night so worked on the zig-zag - will post a pix soon!

    ReplyDelete